Thursday, June 24, 2010

How many Coronas is that?

So you might be wondering what our title means. Well, today we did a lot of sight seeing and shopping around the city. The unit of currency in Croatia is called the Kuna. Renee, being the camouflaged American, brilliantly asked this natively speaking Croatian cashier, ˝How many Coronas is that?˝ Needless to say, when I told Renee what she said, we were both laughing pretty hard.

While out on our walking tour, we encountered the next big fashion trend for men...fanny packs! We've begun calling them 'manny packs.' No lie - we have lost count because we have seen so many. Young, old, handsome or not, many men have them. Hmmm...perhaps I should bring some back for my brothers. What do you think? ;)

We are meeting up with our REI travel group tonight and are heading for more rural areas of Croatia early tomorrow morning. We do not anticipate much Internet access, so we probably will not write again until we are in a bigger town. While the city was nice, we are excited for our first day of outdoor adventure. We will be staying in the village of Korana. (Hopefully, Renee will not once again confuse this with Corona ;) )



This is 50 'kunas.' In American dollars, this would be $10. Food and a lot of goods are much cheaper here than in the U.S.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Krista for announcing my minor slip up about the Kunas today!!! I will be typing our next post so be prepared for some funny stories about Krista!! :)

    I have decided that I would like to live in Croatia after I observed a worker at the market having his first beer at 10:00 a.m. The second observation that confirmed my future move was when I saw a worker carrying a beer in the pocket of his blue overalls! The Croatians definitely enjoy their cocktails, but we have yet to see anyone who has over indulged.
    ~Renee

    ReplyDelete